GIANT History
We are celebrating over 100 years in Education.   

Here is the story of the foundation of that education: 
We were established in 1915. 
From the beginning, St. Anthony parishioners have been dedicated to providing a Catholic education for their children.  Modeling the calling of St. Anthony, our patron, our parishioners continue to support our school with students of diverse backgrounds.  

In September 1915, the original school opened with 8 rooms housing 378 students. The Sisters of
St. Francis from Oldenburg, Indiana began a long tradition of providing an excellent Catholic
education to the neighborhood students. For the first 39 years, these Franciscan Sisters lived on
the top floor of the school. In December 1924, the current school was completed with the addition
of more classrooms and a handsome auditorium. Later, when the new convent was completed, the
top floor of the school was converted from living space to classrooms.

In 1981, St. Anthony became the first parish in the city to provide a daycare program on the grounds. O ver the years, this service has continued to expand and now offers programs that also help prepare preschoolers for transition to the full-day kindergarten classes. St. Anthony school has changed and grown over the years. It now contains 18 classrooms housing grades K-8, a gymnasium, library, computer lab, and a cafeteria that offers breakfast and hot lunches daily.

Today, we have a partnership with the YMCA which provides quality preschool for the
community and before/after school care for our students.

St. Anthony School has a long history of athletic achievement as evidenced by the many trophies
displayed in the school. That tradition continues in the present with the sports the school presently
sponsors. Currently the school sponsors teams in golf, soccer, basketball and volleyball. In
addition, St. Anthony students can play for other nearby Catholic schools in golf, baseball and
track. St. Anthony students are also involved in club soccer, club volleyball, club basketball, feeder
teams in wrestling, basketball and football for the local Catholic high schools (Alter, Carroll, and
Chaminade-Julienne), and other sports in Dayton.

With continuous developmental planning, we offer our students greater resources and an
expanded curriculum for the challenges of the 21st century.